1. A Small Introduction

25th June 2013

Three years ago, I was 29 years old, single, living alone in my flat in Eastbourne.  A town I was born in, grew up in and have resided in.  Forever.

Then, I turned 30, and my life has never been the same.  About a month after my birthday, I met my new next door neighbour, B.  A sweet Hungarian girl who had come to Eastbourne to finish her Master's Degree.  I had no idea just how different my life was about to become...

You can pretty much guess what happened next.  We fell in love.  And our journey over the next two and a half years have led us to this point, as we box up our lives and ready ourselves for chapter 2: Life in Budapest.


There are two main reasons why we have decided to move to Hungary.  The first, is that B misses her family a great deal.  Hungarian families are very close usually, and it has been very hard for B to be away for such a long time.  She came to England to study for her Master's degree, and once we got together that is where she has stayed, barring a few visits home.

The second reason is my job.  I hate it.  I am so bored of it, the monotony, the spreadsheets, the same old tired conversations about stock levels.  It's just so boring.  So it gave me great pleasure to hand my notice in a couple of weeks ago, and I am counting down the weeks, days, minutes and seconds until I can get out of that tin prison.

We have decided that we will rent our flat in England to University students, as we are right around the corner from the local Uni.  Also, this way, we can convert the living room into a third bedroom and maxmise the rent money coming in.  There are quite a few things we need to do, they have surprisingly high standards apparently, according to the Uni.  I personally would be happy as long as they had a hob to warm up their Heinz beans on and a plug socket for the playstation, but apparently they require such luxuries as a working shower, tables, chairs etc so we're gonna need to do some work..

It has been a stressful couple of months, as you might expect, but we are at least close to being ready.  Most things that could have gone wrong have done so, but we hope that we've got the bad luck out of the way and only sunshine and positivity will be in our future.  Erm, yeah...

As of this moment, we currently need to do the following before we leave:

- Fix the leaky roof
- Retile the bathroom
- Put in a new sink
- More packing
- Recarpet the stairs
- Paint
- Clean

..and we have just over 5 weeks to do this.  Whatever happens, we will be living in Budapest by the 1st August.  God knows why we left it so late, but this is our style and we'll be damned if we're gonna change now.  Watch this space...




No comments:

Post a Comment